Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Waterline

Yesterday looking at a little boat strugling against the headwind in Lielupe (coming back from the bay) and now looking at the picture I posted under the title "Planking 3" I made a decision, based on a phrase I heard from an old sea-wolf (Viktors) - the speed of your boat in knots equals to the length of the waterline in metres. Of course, that is only a saying an approximation but there is definitely some truth to it.
For the last 8 months I tried to follow the Volvo Ocean Race and one thing I could not leave unnoticed was vertical stems on all of the boats. Noticed the same feature on most race boats at the local boatyards that I had visited lately.
So, looking back at my picture, I realised that the stem turned out pretty serious and by reshaping the chines I could get the stem line close to vertical, hopefully increasing the max speed by that. Follow my posts to see the progress of this mod!

No comments:

Post a Comment