Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Epoxy

Yesterday I bought an epoxy set - the 331 - the most basic and most popular one. Well, this is a whole new world for me. Even when I was building an airplane I for 90% used PVA (polyvinylacetate), for 9% it was PUT (polyurethane) and only the remaining 1% maybe was epoxy. So, me is totally not an expert in this.
The main thing that worries me is mixing. My [lovely wife's kitchen] scales have only 1g resolution but the epoxy has to be mixed 100g resin to 14.5g curing agent... well, let us see then. Going to workshop to try it out now.

4 comments:

  1. Well, the work itself turned out quite interesting, my biggest mistake was choosing a too small dia jar for mixing 120g of resin. It just boiled up so incredibly quickly! Lucky that I needed only half of those 120g so I barely managed to cover all the parts I needed to glue together. The rest went to trash.
    Last night went out to check the result - it was perfectly cured! So now the mould frames are permanently glued to the inner keel. Next step is glueing the outer keel on top of the inner one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baigi nesatraucies par jaukšanu, galvenais nepielikt par daudz cietinātāju. Var to darīt uz aci, bet vienmēr cietinātāju likt nedaudz mazāk kā vajag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nu, vienā partijā es te iejaucu tā kā nedaudz par maz cietinātāja - līmējums sanāca tāds kā taukains, lipīgs. Varbūt tas arī tāpēc, ka šajā partijā bija klāt plastifikators DIBP, pirmais mēģinājums ar plastifikatoru.
    Ja pareizi saprotu, tad plastifikatora masas daļa nav jāņem vērā rēķinot cietinātāja daļu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kur ņēmi šo epoksīdu? Es izmantoju poliesteru, labu epoksīdu nav izdevies atrast. Kāds ir pēc krāsas un konsistences?

    ReplyDelete